Hungry Girl Pulled Pork - only 5 pts | Print | Key Ingredient
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 12 oz. raw lean boneless pork tenderloin, trimmed of excess fat
- 12 oz. raw boneless pork shoulder (the leanest piece you can find), trimmed of excess fat
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups roughly chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- Optional: crushed red pepper
Adapted from keyingredient.com
To make the sauce, place tomato sauce, ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic powder in a crock pot. Stir until mixed. Season both types of pork with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Top with onion and lightly stir.
Cover and cook until pork is fully cooked, on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours.
Remove all the pork and place it in a large bowl. Shred each piece using two forks — one to hold the pork in place and the other to scrape across the meat and shred it. Return the shredded pork to the crock pot and mix well with the sauce.
If you’re serving a group, keep the crock pot on its lowest setting, so the pork stays warm. Season to taste with crushed red pepper, if using. Yum time!
MAKES 6 SERVINGS