Chicken Tagine with Olives, Cilantro & Lemons
This Chicken Tagine with Olives, Cilantro & Lemons is the most popular chicken dish in Morocco for good reason, it's DELICIOUS!
- 4 pounds chicken legs and thighs
- 2 large (or 3 small) lemons, zested and thinly sliced; zest, ends and seeds discarded
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered and sliced crosswise
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata or black oil-cured olives
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves (from about 1 bunch), divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 whole cloves, crushed finely
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 3 to 4 oranges)
Adapted from oprah.com
Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon, onion, olives, ¾ cup cilantro, oil, honey, cumin, paprika, salt, turmeric, pepper, cloves and bay leaves.
In a large Dutch oven or a heavy, ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid, stir together broth and orange juice. Arrange chicken, skin side down, and scatter onion-olive mixture over top. Cover and bake 40 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 425°. Uncover, flip chicken, and gently stir. Continue baking, allowing liquid to reduce and chicken to turn deep golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove and discard bay leaves. Scatter remaining ¼ cup cilantro over top and serve.
You'll also love
- Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Best Beef Brisket 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Braised Halibut with Leeks &... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Paleo SLOW-COOKER CARNITAS LETTUCE... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tagliatelle with Artichokes and... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Quinoa Mexi-Lime Salad 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Lime Jello Parfait 4.6/5 (7 Votes)