Green Lentil And Bacon Salad - ...
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cups water
- 1 smoked ham hock - (3/4 lb)
- 1 pound French green lentils rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup walnut oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Cook bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion to drippings in saucepan; sauté until very tender, about 15 minutes.
Add 6 cups water, ham hock, lentils, 1/4 cup parsley, and 2 teaspoons thyme. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Using tongs, transfer ham hock to work surface. Drain lentils. Cool ham hock and lentils. Cut ham from bone; dice. Transfer ham to large bowl.
Whisk walnut oil, red wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard in small bowl to blend. Transfer lentils to large bowl with ham. Add dressing, red onion, celery, bacon, remaining 1/4 cup parsley, and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at room temperature.
This recipe yields 12 (side-dish) servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (814 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (705 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon & Corn Chowder 4.5/5 (279 Votes)