Roasted Chicken with Fresh Sage, Garlic, and Red Chile Oil
Bobby Flay's Bold American Food
- 2 chickens (2 1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Red Chile Oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced red onion
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. Stuff the chicken with the sage (reserving 5 leaves for the sauce) and garlic, truss the chickens, and brush generously with the chile oil. Roast for 45 minutes, remove from the oven, and keep warm. Degrease the pan drippings and set aside. You should have 1 cup.
3. In a blender, combine the mustard, vinegar, onion, reserved leaves of sage, roasted garlic, and chile powder. With the motor running, slowly add the drippings until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Let the chicken stand for 10 minutes before carving. Cut each chicken in half and serve with the sauce.
Makes 4 servings.
(May need to add chicken broth to the chicken to create enough sauce.)