Fried Rice With Peppers, Onions And Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs beaten to blend
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stems removed, and caps sliced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce plus more
- for serving
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Bring 1 1/2 cups water and salt to boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Mix in rice. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs. Cook without stirring until eggs are set and bottom is brown, lifting edge of eggs occasionally to let uncooked portion run underneath, about 3 minutes. Turn out egg pancake. Cut in half, then cut crosswise into thin strips.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add pepper and ginger; sauté 3 minutes. Add rice, egg strips, onions and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; toss. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing more soy sauce, if desired.
This recipe yields 2 servings (can be doubled).