With whipping cream mixed into the pastry dough, you know this treacle tart will be a dessert to remember. The sweet filling is topped with a criss-cross crust.
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces (leave in fridge until needed)
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 1 TBS black treacle or molasses
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 3 - 4 pieces of bread cut up and then put in the food processor)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch of ginger
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 TBS heavy cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 300mins
1) Whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup heavy cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a small bowl. In a med bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Put both bowls in refrigerator for about 30 mins.
2) Put the dry ingredients in the food processor and pulse to combine. Add the butter and pulse until texture resembles coarse crumbs. Put the mixture back in the med bow and pour in the liquid ingredient mixture. Stir just until combined. If dough doesn't pinch together add up to another 1/4 cup heavy cream, a TBS at a time until it does pinch together.
3) Turn the dough out onto your clean work surface and divide in two. Shape each half into a flattened disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs (up to 3 days).
4) Place one disc onto a well-floured surface (tart dough is very sticky). Flour the top of the disc and rolling pin generously. Roll the dough out to a 12 inch diameter. Roll from the center out and rotate the dough occasionally to avoid sticking. Use a dry pastry brush to dust off the excess flour and gently fold the dough in half. Dust the side facing up as well and gently fold in half again. Dust the showing quarter, turn over and likewise dust. Transfer the dough to a 9 inch tart pan and unfold. Gently push the pastry dough into the corners without stretching. Any tearing that occurs, use your fingers to patch back together. Roll the rolling pan over the pan edge to remove the excess dough. Refrigerate for about 30 mins.
5) Roll the second disc out similarly. Cut into 1/2 inch strips and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for about 30 mins.
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Pour the golden syrup in a small bowl and add black treacle. Place the bowl in a larger bowl with shallow hot tap water for about 10 mins. Add the bread crumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice and ginger. Mix by hand with the small bowl remaining in the hot water bath.
1) Brush the tart dough in the pan with egg white. Pour and spread even the treacle filling over it. Layer the strips of pastry dough across the top about 1/2 inches apart in parallel, trimming the edges as you go. Do a second layer either perpendicular to the first layer or at another angle to create a diamond. Whisk together the yolk and cream and brush the top crust.
2) Bake for 20 - 25 min, until top crust is golden brown.