Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese
Not only is this dish made with the usual cheddar cheese found in most recipes; it has a GOOD kick of stringy mozzarella AND loaded with parmesan because — well — parmesan.
- CRISPY TOPPING:
- 1 pound dry weight pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup flour (all purpose or plain)
- 4 1/2 cups milk, divided (I used skim, but 2% or full fat are fine to use)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (corn flour)
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (or a vegetable stock powder)
- 3/4 cup low fat grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 6 ounces low fat mozzarella cheese
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Boil pasta in salted water, according to packet instructions, until JUST al dente (do not over-boil)! Drain and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
Preheat oven grill or broiler to 375°F.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, oven proof pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the Panko breadcrumbs; stir to coat and cook until golden browned. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Melt the ¼ cup of butter in the same pan / skillet. Add the garlic and sauté until just fragrant (about 1 minute). Whisk in the flour; continue to cook while whisking (or stirring) for at least 2 minutes. Reduce heat down to low; gradually whisk in 4 cups of the milk (about ¼ cup at a time), whisking between each addition to combine. Bring to a boil until beginning to thicken.
In a separate jug, combine the cornstarch and remaining ½ cup milk; whisk until lump free and stir through the white sauce to thicken completely. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the bouillon powder.
Remove from heat and add in the cheddar, ¾ cup of parmesan cheese, and the mozzarella slices. Stir through until all of the cheese has melted. Toss the pasta through the sauce until completely coated.
Top with the Panko and the remaining parmesan cheese. Broil (or grill) in oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbling.
Allow to cool down slightly before serving.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Lemon Cream Scones 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Oven-Cooked Candied Bacon Recipe 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake Tiramisu 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Sweet Chili-Garlic Shrimp [asian] 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Kids Can Make Popovers with... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Bacon and Onion Foil Packet... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Hot Crab & Shrimp Dip 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Buffalo Chicken... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)