White wedding cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks at room temperature)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1 cup milk (orange juice if making the orange cake)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For lemon cake add-zest of 2 lemons
- For the orange version add zest of 2 oranges
- whipped egg whites stiff but not dry
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
In the large bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter until soft and smooth. Add the sugar and beat until light and smooth. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beaters several times.
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir in the vanilla. At this point you may add flavoring touches if desired. (orange zest, lemon zest, almond extract))
In another bowl, with a clean beater, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. (pictured) Stir about 1/2 cup of whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in remaining whites in several additions.
Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Smooth the batter level, then spread it slightly from the center to the edges.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or just until the tops are springy or a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool the cakes in their pans on a rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto racks.