Creamed Chicken On Whole Grain Waffles
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut 1/2" cubes
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 1 tspn dried tarragon)
- 1 tablespoon Madeira or dry Sherry
- 4 frozen whole grain waffles toasted
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chicken to plate.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and whisk 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth, cream and tarragon. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer sauce 1 minute. Add Madeira and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
Return chicken and any juices to sauce. Simmer until chicken is heated through, about 1 minute. Arrange 2 waffles on each plate; top with creamed chicken.
This recipe yields 2 servings; can be doubled.