Cornmeal And Kale Spoon Bread With Red Peppers
- 1 pound kale - (abt 2 bunches) thick ribs and stems cut away
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 cup frozen white corn thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray as needed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup reduced-fat (2% milk, 1/3 less fat) sharp
- cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; cool. Squeeze dry. Finely chop kale.
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, corn, red peppers, and garlic; stir 3 minutes. Mix in 1 1/2 cups kale. Remove from heat.
Whisk 2 cups water and cornmeal in bowl to blend. Bring milk and salt to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal mixture. Stir until mixture boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray oval 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk eggs in large bowl to blend; gradually whisk in warm cornmeal mixture. Stir in kale mixture, cheese, and hot pepper sauce. Transfer to prepared dish; smooth top. Bake until set and golden, about 35 minutes. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 8 servings.