SPATCHCOCK ROASTED CHICKEN W/ CARROTS AND PARSNIPS
Place the vegetables on a platter and top with the chicken pieces. Spoon the pumpkin seed sauce on top and around the chicken and vegetables.
- PUMPKIN SEED SAUCE:
- 4 pounds whole chicken (backbone removed)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
- 1/2 cup fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons (zested, juiced)
- SPATCHCOCK ROASTED CHICKEN:
- 1/2 pound organic carrots (peeled, cut in half lengthwise)
- 1/2 pound organic parsnips (peeled, cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 large onion (peeled, quartered)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from WWW.THECHEW.COM
Season the chicken inside and out with salt. Place in the refrigerator uncovered overnight.
For the Pumpkin Seed Sauce:
In the bowl of a food processor, add the pumpkin seeds, sage leaves, parsley leaves, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and pulse until slightly coarse. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Spatchcock Roasted Chicken:
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before roasting. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the carrots, parsnips, and onions on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the thyme sprigs on top. Place the chicken, skin side up, on top of the vegetables. Place in the oven and roast until the chicken is golden brown and the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven to rest for 10-15 minutes prior to cutting into 4 pieces. Discard the thyme.