Cider-Brined Pork Chops With Creamed Leeks And Apples
- 4 1/4 cups apple cider
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 bone-in center-cut pork rib chops (10 oz ea)
- 4 tablespoons butter - (1/2 stick)
- 5 large leeks, white and pale green parts only thinly sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and halved, each half cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1/3 cup Calvados
- Olive oil as needed
Bring 4 cups cider, salt, allspice, and bay leaf to boil in large saucepan, stirring to dissolve salt. Cool completely. Place pork in 13- by 9- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Pour brine over. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks; sauté until tender, about 7 minutes. Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Creamed leeks can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sauté 10 minutes. Add sugar and sauté until apples are golden, about 6 minutes longer. Add stock, then Calvados and remaining 1/4 cup cider. Simmer until liquid thickens slightly and apples are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare barbecue (medium heat) or preheat broiler. Drain pork. Rinse under cold water; pat dry. Brush pork with oil. Grill or broil to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium.
Meanwhile, rewarm leeks, thinning with 1 to 3 tablespoons water if necessary. Bring apples to simmer. Spoon leeks onto plates. Top with pork, then apples.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Sonny's Smoked Fish 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Banana Pepper Dip 3.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Faux Smoked Turkey Legs 3.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's... 3.7/5 (33 Votes)
- Beef Shanks With Beans 3.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Baked Potato Soup (like Cheddars) 3.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Joy of Cooking Apple Pie 3.7/5 (12 Votes)
- FROZEN PORK CHOPS 3.6/5 (25 Votes)