- 1 (32-oz.) bag tater tots (not thawed)
- 1 lb, ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (1.5-oz.) pkg. taco mix (I use mild McCormick)
- water (add the amount of water to the meat that the taco mix says to add, 3/4 cup is what my packet said)
- 1 cup sour cream (the original recipe provider used Tillamook premium sour cream, but I imagine that whatever you have on hand will do just fine)
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. sharp cheddar cheese (divided, half in sour cream mixture and half on top at the end)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- diced tomatoes for servings (about 2 small tomatoes)
Spray a slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the tater tots down in a single layer. Set aside.
In a large skillet, brown the hamburger, onions and bell pepper. When the meat is browned, drain the fat. Add the amount of water the taco packet says to add to the meat. Add the taco packet, and continue cooking and stirring until the meat and the seasoning has thickened.
Pour the meat mixture over the tater tots in the slow cooker.
In a medium sized bowl add the sour cream, salt, pepper, onion powder, and half of the cheese. Spread this mixture over the meat mixture in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4.5 hours, without opening the lid during the cooking time.
After the cooking time is up add the remaining cheese evenly over the casserole. Cover and let the cheese melt, this will only take about 5-10 minutes.