Pancakes for Dinner
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix (it says just add water on the front of the box)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- vegetable oil, for cooking the griddle cakes
- maple syrup, for serving
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel-lined plate. Crumble the cooked bacon when cool enough to handle. Reserve 1 Tbsp of the bacon for garnishing. Drain all of the bacon fat except for one Tbsp from the pan, then add in the chopped yellow onion and sauté until tender, about five minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pancake mix and water. Add the bacon, sautéed onion, chives, cayenne, corn and cheese and stir just until combined.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add a Tbsp of vegetable oil. When it sizzles, ladle 1/3 cup of the corn cake batter into the pan and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes. Flip over and brown the second side, another 3-4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding a little vegetable oil to the pan as needed.
4. Serve with maple syrup over top, then garnish with the reserved bacon pieces.
Makes about 8 large (5-6 inch) pancakes