Simple Orzo Pilaf
I adjusted the recipe for 3 servings
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth (I love Swanson’s Natural Goodness 33% Less Sodium Broth)
- 1/2 pounds orzo pasta (usually comes in little bags or boxes by the pasta)
- 2 green onions (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese (freshly)
- 1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper (freshly)
- salt (to taste)
Cooking time 35mins
In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the orzo and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the orzo and broth uncovered, stirring now and then to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot, about 8-10 minutes, until the orzo is tender. The orzo mixture should be thick and syrupy when it is finished cooking – not dry. If it seems as though the orzo isn’t finished cooking but looks dry, add chicken broth and continue to cook.
When the orzo is tender, remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the green onions and cheese. Add the pepper and additional salt to taste, if needed. Garnish with additional green onions and serve immediately! The dish has a tendency to become a bit dry the longer it sits so make haste and serve as quickly as can be!