Italian Sausage Tomato Orzo Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage links (casings removed); rolled into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2-15oz cans diced tomatoes – no salt added
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
Adapted from amandascookin.com
In a 3-quart soup pot on medium-high flame, heat olive oil until shimmering (about 1-2 min).
Add sausage pieces and sauté until lightly browned; transfer cooked pieces to a plate and set aside.
To the heated, oiled pan, add onion, garlic, and celery; sauté until fragrant and slightly tender, stirring as needed (3-4 min).
Add orzo; sauté to lightly brown (2-3 min).
Add chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes (with their juice), Italian seasoning, oregano, fennel, salt, and pepper.
Bring to boil; continue boiling until pasta is cooked through (about 10 min); add sausage back to pot about halfway through boiling process.
You'll also love
- Beefless Stew 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Crispy Onion Rings 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Raspberry Buttercream Frosting 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Baked Parmesan Zucchini 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Schweinebraten – German Pork... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Christmas Breakfast Sausage... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Sausage Hash Brown Breakfast... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)