Chicken Soup With Egg And Cheese
- 12 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 chicken breast halves with skin and bones skin removed
- 3 large carrots peeled
- 1 large onion quartered
- 1 celery stalk with leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup farina (instant Cream of Wheat)
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for serving
Combine first 6 ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Remove chicken and carrots from broth. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; discard bones. Thinly slice carrots. Discard onion, celery, and bay leaf.
Bring broth to boil. Gradually whisk in farina; boil until broth is very slightly thickened and smooth, whisking often, about 5 minutes.
Whisk eggs, 4 tablespoons cheese, and 1/4 cup water in medium bowl; gradually pour into boiling broth, stirring constantly until small egg threads form, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and carrots to pot; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese and parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per serving: calories, 226; total fat, 9 g; saturated fat, 4 g; cholesterol, 143 mg.