Baked Scotch Egg
This traditional Scotch appetizer is often fried but, these are just as good baked and a great deal less greasy. Add a mustard sauce for dipping and you will be amazed at how terrific they really are!
- 1.5 1.5 1.5 lb ground lean pork or 1.5 lb ground turkey (or sausage - casings removed and crumbled)
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 1/8 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 4 4 4 large eggs, hard boiled ( not too large)
- 1 1 1 large egg
- 2 2 2 cups Panko
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 120mins
Mix the meat thoroughly with the seasonings and divide into four equal portions on wax paper.
Have the four eggs hard boiled, for about 12 minutes.
Peel them, dip them in water and coat them in flour.
Wrap each egg evenly in a portion of meat, being sure they are covered completely.
(Easier if hands are wet)
Beat the remaining egg.
Dip each egg in the beaten egg then coat thoroughly in Panko.
Chill for one hour.
Bake until golden brown on a cookie sheet at 400°F; about 30 minutes.