Mr. L's Mashed Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 large rosemary sprigs
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic (depending how big they are)
Adapted from food52.com
Put all the dairy in a dish and allow it to come to room temperature
Fill a large pot 2/3 full of salted water. Add the peppercorns, garlic and rosemary. Bring to a rolling boil and remove the rosemary, then add the potatoes.
Boil until the potatoes are very soft, then drain them and put them back in the pot - garlic and peppercorns and all. Let them sit and steam for about 5 minutes.
Add the dairy and mash until creamy. I use a hand masher but you could use a hand mixer as well. Serve with a steak and a big glass of good red wine!