- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely-chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup finely-chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1 1/4 cups dried green lentils
- 4 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add lentils and stir 1 minute. Add stock and bring to boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until lentils are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 4 servings.