Jamaican Curry Chicken
A deliciously spicy chicken curry flavored with the Jamaican flavors of curry powder, allspice, garlic, ginger, and Scotch bonnet chiles. This spicy and hearty dish is sure to be a hit on your dinner table or at your next celebratory dinner party.
- 4-pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1 ⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 ⁄4 cup coconut oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 chayote squash, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, slit in half lengthwise
- cooked white rice, for serving
Preparation time 240mins
Cooking time 300mins
Adapted from saveur.com
Combine chicken, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon curry powder in a large bowl, and toss to combine; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and working in batches, add to pot, and cook, stirring, until golden brown all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to bowl with marinade, and set aside.
Add remaining curry powder, the allspice, garlic, scallions, thyme, carrots, chayote, potato, and ginger, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add chicken and any remaining marinade to pot along with coconut milk and chile, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 40 minutes; serve over rice.
You'll also love
- Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken 4.5/5 (41 Votes)
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Tacos 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Beef Cabbage Casserole 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Thai Garlic Pepper Chicken 3.8/5 (77 Votes)
- Teriyaki Sesame Chicken 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Baked Firecracker Chicken Tenders 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Roasted Chili Verde Chicken... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Thai Chicken 4.4/5 (10 Votes)