Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups canned vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas - (6" dia) cut 1/2"-wide strips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup canned black beans rinsed, drained
- 2/3 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Spray large nonstick saucepan with vegetable oil spray. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook over medium-low heat until almost tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cumin and chili powder.
Add broth and 2 tablespoons cilantro; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
Add tortillas, tomatoes, beans, zucchini and jalapeñp to soup. Cover; simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 157; total fat, 3g; saturated fat, 0.5g; cholesterol, 0mg.