Tomato, Cucumber And Guacamole Sandwiches
- 1/2 large avocado peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chili
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices good-quality whole wheat bread (each about 4" by 4" and 1/2" thick)
- 20 thin tomato slices
- 16 thin peeled cucumber slices
- 8 thin red onion slices
- 1 cup fresh cilantro sprigs - (lightly packed)
Using fork, mash avocado, lime juice, garlic and jalapeño in small bowl until almost smooth. Season guacamole with salt and pepper.
Divide guacamole among all bread slices, spreading evenly (guacamole will be thinly spread). Place 5 tomato slices atop guacamole on each of 4 bread slices. Top each with 4 cucumber slices, then 2 onion slices, then cilantro. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, guacamole-side down, pressing lightly. Cut sandwiches in half. (Can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Wrap in plastic; chill.)
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: calories, 220; total fat, 8g; saturated fat, 1g; cholesterol, 0mg.