Toasted Almond Tofu Burgers
- 1 package firm tofu - (12 oz) drained, patted dry, and cut into 1"-thk slices
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup almonds toasted, and finely chopped
- 1 large egg white beaten to blend
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 sesame seed buns toasted
- 4 tomato slices
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
Wrap tofu in doubled dish towel. Place on work surface. Weigh down with a board topped with food cans or weights for 1 hour. Squeeze towel-wrapped tofu to extract as much liquid as possible from tofu. Transfer tofu to medium bowl. Using fork, mash into small pieces.
Spray medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; place over medium heat. Add carrot, green onions, ginger and garlic; sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Cool. Mix carrot mixture, almonds, egg white, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds into tofu. Season with salt and pepper. Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
If grilling, spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then prepare barbecue (medium heat). If sautéing, spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Lightly spray patties on both sides with nonstick spray. Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
Place 1 burger on each bun bottom. Top each with 1 tomato slice, some sprouts and bun top and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 295; total fat, 15 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.