Chicken Pot Pie
- Single crust pastry:
- 1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
- 1 Cup flour
- pinch salt
- pinch sugar
- 3 TB milk
- 1 Cup cooked diced carrots (very thinly sliced raw carrots work as well)
- 1 tsp. MINCED WHITE ONION
- 1 4-oz. can chopped mushrooms, drained (reserve liquid), or 1/2 Cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 Cup frozen baby peas
- 2 Cups water (LaDonna uses water drained from carrots and mushrooms)
- 11/2 tsp. CHICKEN or TURKEY SOUP BASE
- 3 TB. cornstarch
- 3 TB. cold water
- 2 Cups cooked diced chicken or turkey
- 1/2-1 tsp. POULTRY SEASONING or RUBBED SAGE (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. PENZEYS FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
Preheat oven to 450°.
To prepare the crust, cut the butter into small pieces; it doesn't have to be cold, but it should not be warm to the point of melting. Add the flour, salt, and sugar to the butter and beat or mix by hand to combine. Add the milk in a thin stream, mixing until thoroughly blended. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill until it can be easily handled—at least half an hour. While it is chilling prepare the filling.
For the filling, put the carrots, ONION, mushrooms, peas, the 2 cups of water and the SOUP BASE in a medium saucepan. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water and slowly add to the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Boil for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken, POULTRY SEASONING/SAGE, salt and PEPPER. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate or 2-quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Roll out the pastry on a flour-covered table. Place the pastry on top of the filled dish and cut slits to vent. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes. If the crust is getting really brown, place a piece of aluminum foil loosely over the top. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.