Polenta & Green Tomato Gratin
- 1 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped firm green tomato (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°.
To prepare polenta, combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually stir in cornmeal, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Spread mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
To prepare tomatoes, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato and the next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 6 minutes or until tomato is tender. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro. Spoon tomato mixture over polenta; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.