Cherry Topping and Almond Whipped Cream for Cheesecake Topping
- Cherry Topping:
- 1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves, seedless red raspberry preserves, or currant jelly
- 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons water
- Amaretto Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
In a medium saucepan stir together cherry pie filling, cherry preserves, dried cherries, and lemon juice. Stir the cornstarch into the water until cornstarch dissolves; stir into cherry mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the almond extract. Cover and let stand while preparing pie.
In a chilled bowl beat whipping cream, sugar, and amaretto or almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).