Ham, Gruyere and Apple Panini
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 slices thick country-style white bread
- 1/8 cup mustard (your favorite variety)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere
- 4 slices (4 ounces) Black Forest ham
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are slightly soft, about 4 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat panini press.
3. Spread each bread slice with 1 tablespoon mustard. Arrange 1/4 cup of cheese on 1/2 of the bread slices and top with 2 slices of ham. Divide the apple mixture evenly on top of the ham. Add the remaining cheese and cover with the remaining bread slices.
4. Grill in the panini press until cheese has melted and tops are golden and crispy, about 5 to 6 minutes.