Apple-Spice Bundt Cake with Caramel Frosting
Praising the flavors of autumn, this Bundt cake can be served as a sweet brunch option to replace the usual coffee cake or as a perfect ending to a crisp fall day for dessert. Do not be afraid of the total time; the cake will be in the oven for an hour and will have to cool for two hours before adding the caramel frosting resulting in only about 30 minutes of active cooking.
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- APPLE-SPICE BATTER:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups (about 12 3/4 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 3 large Granny Smith apples (about 1 1/2-pounds), peeled and grated
- 2/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- Caramel Frosting
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (about 5-ounces) powdered sugar, sifted
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 225mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Prepare the Cream Cheese Filling: Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Prepare the Apple-Spice Batter: Beat brown sugar, oil, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric stand mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add 3 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla. Whisk together baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cardamom, salt, baking soda, coriander, and 3 cups flour. Gradually add to brown sugar mixture, beating on low speed until just blended. Add apples, and beat on low speed just until combined.
Spoon half of the batter into a greased and floured 14-cup Bundt pan. Dollop Cream Cheese Filling over the apple mixture, leaving a 1-inch border around edges of pan. Swirl filling through batter using a knife. Spoon remaining batter over filling.
Bake in preheated oven until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 2 hours). Spoon frosting immediately over cooled cake; sprinkle with pecans.
Bring brown sugar, cream, and butter to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium, whisking constantly; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
Remove pan from heat; stir in vanilla. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth. Gently stir until mixture begins to cool and thicken, 4 to 5 minutes. Use immediately.
You'll also love
- Honeycrisp Apple and... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Crustless Bacon & Cheese Quiche 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Tabla's Tart and Fruity Sangria 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Kristen's Bacon Ranch Potato Salad 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Apple Cider Donut Cake 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Moms Divinity 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sorbet 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls 4.5/5 (18 Votes)