Acorn Squash with Brown Rice & Turkey Sausage
Rich in vitamin A, acorn squash is loaded with flavor and provides its own elegant serving vessel. Pair this sausage-stuffed squash with a simple green salad for a delicious, satisfying meal.
- 2 acorn squash (about 2 1/2-pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound sweet or hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium red pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups precooked whole-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from goodhousekeeping.com
Lightly grease microwave-safe large plate; place squash halves, cut sides down, on plate (it's OK if halves overlap slightly). Cook squash in microwave oven on High 8 to 9 minutes or until fork-tender; set aside until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Line 15 1/2- X 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan with foil. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking up sausage with side of spoon. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl.
To same skillet, add onion, red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cook over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally; add to sausage in bowl.
With spoon, scoop out squash, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Add scooped-out squash to bowl with sausage; stir in rice (it is not necessary to heat rice as label directs) and parsley until combined.
Spoon sausage mixture into squash shells; place in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.
You'll also love
- Honey Pear Gallette 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Roasted Eggplant and Asparagus 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Asparagus & Arugula Pesto Pizza 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Fettuccine with Roasted Butternut... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Zucchini Rice Casserole 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Lamb Stew with Sherry and Mushrooms 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Breasts with Wild Rice... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sausage and Peppers with Zucchini... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)