Roasted Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup quartered crimini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped parsnips
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 large garlic cloves crushed, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped Swiss chard including stems
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced leek, white and pale green
- parts only
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley including stems
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large fresh thyme sprig (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine first 6 ingredients in 13- by 9- by 2-inch roasting pan. Drizzle oil over; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Roast vegetables until tender and golden, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven.
Add 2 cups water to roasting pan; stir vegetables, scraping up any browned bits from bottom. Transfer vegetable mixture to large pot.
Add remaining 6 cups water and all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Strain. Reserve vegetables. (Can be prepared ahead. Cover broth and vegetables separately and refrigerate 2 days or freeze up to 2 weeks.)
This recipe yields about 8 cups.