Roasted Tomato And Red Bell Pepper Soup
- 2 1/4 pounds tomatoes halved lengthwise
- 2 large red bell peppers quartered, seeded
- 1 onion cut thin wedges
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tspn dried thyme)
- 2 cups water more or less
- 4 tablespoons part-skim ricotta cheese room temperature
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange tomatoes (cut-side up), bell peppers, onion and garlic cloves on large baking sheet. Drizzle oil over; sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast vegetables until brown and tender, turning peppers and onion occasionally, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool.
Transfer vegetables and any accumulated juices to processor. Add thyme leaves. Puree soup, gradually adding enough water to thin soup to desired consistency. Chill until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated. If soup becomes too thick, thin with water to desired consistency.)
Ladle soup into bowls. Top each with 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: calories, 159; total fat, 9g; saturated fat, 2g; cholesterol, 5mg.