slow cooker german-style beef roast
- see savings
- 1 tablespooncooking oilsee savings
- 2 cupssliced carrots (2)see savings
- 2 cupschopped onions (2 large)see savings
- 1 cupsliced celery (2 stalks)
- 3/4 cupchopped kosher-style dill picklessee savings
- 1/2 cupdry red wine or beef brothsee savings
- 1/3 cupGerman-style mustard
- 1/2 teaspooncoarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoonground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoonsall-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoonsdry red wine or beef brothsee savings
- Hot cooked spaetzle or cooked noodles
- Snipped fresh parsley (optional)
Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut roast to fit into a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet brown the meat on all sides in hot oil. Drain fat.
2. In the cooker, combine the carrots, onions, celery, and pickles. Place the meat on top of vegetables. In a small bowl combine the 1/2 cup red wine, the mustard, pepper, cloves, and bay leaves. Pour over meat and vegetables in cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove the meat from the cooker and place on a serving platter; cover with foil to keep warm.
Transfer vegetables and cooking liquid to a 2-quart saucepan. Skim fat. Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, stir together flour and the 2 tablespoons wine. Stir into the mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Serve with vegetables, gravy, and hot cooked spaetzle. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Makes 8 servings.