Hot-Stuff Kielbasa-Cheese Soup
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 14 1/2 - ounce can chicken broth*
- 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
- 8 ounces fully cooked kielbasa (Polish sausage), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (12 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or coarsely ground pepper (optional)
Adapted from Midwestliving.com
In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook onion and celery in hot butter or margarine until tender. Stir in flour, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Carefully stir in broth.
Add potatoes, carrots, and kielbasa. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Stir in milk. Heat and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Add the 3 cups cheese and the 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with more cheese or pepper, if you like. Makes 6 to 8 servings.