Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes
These cheesy potato pancakes are the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and enjoy a hearty and savory breakfast.
- 3 cups chilled leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
In a large bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes, cheese, scallions, egg and 3 tablespoons flour until combined. (See Cook's Notes.) Using your hands, divide the mixture into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a compact ball then flatten it into a pancake about a 1/2-inch-thick.
Place the remaining 1/2 cup of flour in a shallow dish and carefully dredge each pancake in the flour.
Heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. (Add enough oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of the pan.)
Fry the pancakes, in batches, until they're golden brown and crispy on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Add more oil to the pan as needed between batches. (Do not overcrowd the pan and do not flip the pancakes too soon or they won't develop a crisp crust.) Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle them with salt.
Serve the potato pancakes topped with sour cream and garnish with additional chopped scallions.
All leftover mashed potatoes will vary in consistency depending on how much cream, milk or melted butter you added to the original batch. If the mashed potato pancake mixture looks too dry and isn't holding together, add one more egg. If it looks too wet, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is cohesive.
You'll also love
- Honeycrisp Apple and... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Crustless Bacon & Cheese Quiche 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Cinnamon Swirl French Toast... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon-Goat Cheese Jalapeno Poppers 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Zucchini Muffins 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Goat Cheese, Cranberry & Walnut... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Pigs in a Blanket on a Stick 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Creamy Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (18 Votes)