Rice And Wheat Berry Pilaf With Baby Spinach
- 3/4 cup wheat berries see * Note
- 5 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 package baby spinach leaves - (6 oz)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
* Note: Also called hard wheat berries. Available at most natural foods stores.
Place wheat berries in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to saucepan to cover wheat berries by 3 inches. Let stand overnight. Drain.
Bring 4 cups water, wheat berries and 3/4 teaspoon salt to boil in same saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until wheat berries are tender but still slightly firm to bite, about 1 hour. Drain.
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and garlic; stir 1 minute. Stir in remaining 1 3/4 cups water and 3/4 teaspoon salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is almost absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
Add spinach and cooked wheat berries; stir until spinach wilts and wheat berries are heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per serving: calories, 195; total fat, 3 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0
You'll also love
- Bulgarian Beef Stew 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with... 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Banana Chocolate Chip Baked... 4.1/5 (29 Votes)
- Spinach & Strawberry Salad 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Trader Joe’s Kale and Broccoli... 4.1/5 (50 Votes)
- Spinach & Sausage Cannelloni... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)