Clean Maple Pumpkin Scones
Delicious, CLEAN, maple pumpkin scones- can be made with wheat flour or gluten free!
- 1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat flour OR gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 C pumpkin puree ( Use 1/2 15 Oz can)
- 8 1/8 Tsp. organic maple syrup
- 10 1/2 tsp. nonfat or lowfat organic milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tsp. maple syrup
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2) Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter using knife or fork; mix until it resembles a fine meal. Add in pumpkin puree, 8 Tsp. maple syrup, and 10 Tsp. milk. Mix all together.
3) Divide the dough into eight balls. Place onto baking sheet and flatten slightly. Mix together remaining 1/8 maple syrup and 1/2 tsp. milk. Brush over tops of scones. Bake at 425 for approximately 12-14 minutes (look for light golden brown on top). Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then place on a rack to cool.
4) Once scones have cooled, Stir yogurt and maple syrup in small bowl. Drizzle over scones.
Notes: For the gluten-free flour: 1 cup (120g) millet flour, ¼ cup (35g) brown rice flour, ¼ cup (30g) tapioca flour, and 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum.
For a vegan version, substitute Earth Balance buttery sticks in place of the butter, your favorite non-dairy milk in place of the nonfat milk, and soy, coconut, or almond yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt.