Portobello Burgers With Red Pepper Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red peppers from a jar
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 4 slices red onion, 1/2" thick
- 4 slices crusty country bread, 5" by 3" by 1/2"-thk
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
Blend first 4 ingredients in processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Spray grill with oil spray; prepare barbecue (medium heat). Spray mushrooms and onion slices with oil spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill mushrooms, onion and bread until vegetables are tender and bread is golden, turning often, about 12 minutes for vegetables and 5 minutes for bread.
Transfer 2 tablespoons red pepper mayonnaise to large bowl. Whisk in vinegar, add spinach and toss. Divide among 4 plates. Place 1 bread slice atop spinach on each. Top each with 1 mushroom, then 1 onion slice. Spoon 2 tablespoons red pepper mayonnaise atop each.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 123; total fat, 3 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 8 mg.