Mushroom And Tomato Soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cans diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz ea)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth more if needed (or vegetable broth)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Bring 2 cups water and porcini to boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove porcini. Finely chop porcini. Pour liquid into small bowl, leaving any sediment behind.
Purée tomatoes with their juices in processor until smooth; set aside.
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add porcini and crimini mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in 4 tablespoons parsley and red pepper.
Add puréed tomatoes, 3 cups broth and 1 cup porcini cooking liquid and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors blend, thinning soup with more broth, if desired, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Top soup with 2 tablespoons parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.