Caroline J. Beck's 6-Minute Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Custard
- 3 whole eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, preferably fresh olio nuovo
Adapted from food52.com
Place all ingredients but the olive oil in a high-speed blender (capable of generating frictional heat above 160 F). If you don't have a high-speed blender, see note in step 4.
Turn the blender on to its highest setting and process for 4 minutes.
While continuing to run on high speed, pour in the olive oil and blend for an additional 90 to 105 seconds until you can see the custard firming up on the sides.
If you don't have a high speed blender, simply blend until smooth and frothy in step 2, stream in the olive oil with the motor running, then pour into a double boiler or bowl set over gently simmering water on the stovetop, stirring until it thickens up (it should reach 160 degrees for fully cooked eggs, or hold at 140 degrees for 3 1/2 minutes).
Note: This recipe was created using the Vitamix Professionial Series 750, using its “hot soup” programmed cycle. It can be replicated by setting the blender at its top speed and running for a total process time of 5 minutes 45 seconds.
The custard can be refrigerated for up to three days or frozen for longer storage. When defrosted, it will return to the same creamy consistency as when fresh.
You'll also love
- Root Beer Apple Baked Beans 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Maple-Apple Galette 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Roasted Red... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Pomegranate-Orange BBQ Sauce 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Creamy Skillet Tortellini with... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Chilled Shrimp & Lime Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Potato & Olive Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Lemon Water For Alkaline Water 4.7/5 (3 Votes)