Mixed Mushroom Stuffing With Rice, Raisins And Apples
Wild and white rice are blended and mixed with mushrooms, parsnips, carrots, apples, raisins and onions flavored with apple juice, orange zest, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Perfect for stuffing either a chicken or turkey.
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled parsnip
- 1 pound assorted wild mushrooms chopped (such as crimini, portobello and stemmed shiitake)
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation time 50mins
Cooking time 110mins
Cook wild rice in medium saucepan of boiling salted water 25 minutes. Add white rice to saucepan; cook until all rice is tender, about 15 minutes longer. Drain.
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and parsnip; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until brown, adding 2 to 3 tablespoons water if mixture is dry, about 15 minutes. Stir in apple, raisins, cinnamon stick and orange peel; sauté 5 minutes. Mix in apple juice and cooked rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If using as stuffing, spoon mixture loosely into poultry. Can be prepared 1 day ahead if serving as side dish. Cover and refrigerate. Spoon into 8- by 8- by 2-inch glass baking dish sprayed with nonstick vegetable oil spray, cover with foil and rewarm in 350°F oven about 25 minutes.)
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (868 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.4/5 (591 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.4/5 (541 Votes)
- Baked Potato Soup in a Slow Cooker 4.5/5 (493 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.3/5 (579 Votes)
- Oven-Roasted Smoked Sausage &... 4.2/5 (662 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Potato Soup for Weight... 4.1/5 (302 Votes)
- Paleo Comfort Foods' Chicken... 4.4/5 (167 Votes)