Root Beer Apple Baked Beans
****The reviews on this are using a little less root beer (1/2 - 3/4 can) and no sugar added apple pie filling
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) baked beans
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper, optional
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese, optional
- Add to Shopping List
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat, using 32-36 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
In a 10-in. Dutch oven, cook bacon over campfire until crisp. Remove; discard drippings. Return bacon to pan; stir in baked beans, pie filling, root beer and, if desired, ancho chili pepper
Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with ash, place Dutch oven on top of 16-18 briquettes. Place 16-18 briquettes on pan cover.
Cook 30-40 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.