- 2 cups peeled white potatoes in 1/2" pieces (abt 1 lb)
- 1 cup peeled carrots in 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup fennel bulb in 1/2" pieces - (abt 1 med) fronds reserved
- 1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas - (15 to 16 oz) rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup red onion in 1/2" pieces
- 1 roasted red peppers - (7 oz) drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs peeled
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Cook potatoes in medium pot of boiling salted water 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook until all vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes longer. Drain. Rinse vegetables under cold water. Drain well.
Combine potatoes, carrots, fennel bulb, garbanzo beans, red onion, roasted peppers and parsley in large bowl.
Whisk vinegar, oil and garlic in small bowl. Add to salad; toss to coat.
Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Separate yolks from whites (reserve 2 yolks for another use). Chop egg whites; mix into salad. Season with salt and pepper. Mound salad in serving bowl. Crumble remaining 2 yolks over salad. Garnish with fennel fronds. Serve at room temperature or cover and chill up to 4 hours.
This recipe yields 4 servings as a main-course or 6 as a side-dish.
Per main-course serving: calories, 357; total fat, 14 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 106 mg.
Per side-dish serving: calories, 238; total fat, 10 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 71 mg.