Italian Green Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 5-6 green tomatoes, washed, cored and fairly finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound spaghetti, linguine or fettuccine
- Minced basil for garnish
- Grated Parmesan for garnish
In a saucepan heat the olive oil until shimmery. Add the onions and cook, stirring now and then, until it softens, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until it turns fragrant, another minute or so. Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine almost evaporates, tomatoes soften and sauce becomes thick.
In a large pot, heavily salt a gallon of water and bring to a rolling boil. Add pasta and cook al dente, 6-8 minutes. Drain. Place pasta in a large bowl and spoon green tomato sauce over. Garnish with minced basil and pass the grated cheese. Serves 4.