- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- 3 (6 oz) portions cooked salmon or 3 (6 oz) cans salmon, drained well
- 1 1/2 cups cracker meal
- 2 lrg eeggs, beaten
- 2 rounded tsp Old Bay
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 20 blades fresh chives, snipped or chopped
- 2 - 3 TBS fresh dill, a handful, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper sauce
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 TBS dill pickle relish
1) Heat a lrg, heavy skillet with 1 inch of frying oil over moderate heat.
2) Flake the cooked, cooled salmon with a fork. Add cracker meal to the bowl and work through the fish with your hands. Add the eggs, seasoning, pepper, chives, dill, pepper sauce and the zest of one lemon to the bowl. Combine the ingredients well with your hands. If the mixture is a little wet, add a bit more cracker meal. Form 3 inch patties of salmon cakes 1 inch thick. You should yield 8 - 10 cakes. Fry cakes until golden in a single layer 3 - 4 mins on each side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
3) Combine mayonnaise, chili sauce and relish in a small dish. To serve, place salmon cakes on a bed of baby greens, 2 cakes per person and top with chili mayonnaise sauce.