Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 large leeks, cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only)
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (*see note)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Toppings Ideas
- Green onion, chopped
- Pieces of cooked potato
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh ground pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot, over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt to the oil. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes
2. Add the potato, garlic, salt, pepper & spices (except the bay leaf). Sauté to release the flavors of the garlic & spices, about 2-3 minutes. Stir often to keep vegetables from sticking. (if it starts to stick, add a touch of oil or vegetable broth)
3. Add the vegetable broth & bay leaf, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. You can pierce them with a fork to test for tenderness.
4. Remove from heat, add the cream and lemon juice. Add more salt to taste.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender, and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
6. Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.