SPRING VEGETABLE SOUP *****GG
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large leek, trimmed and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 celery stalk, diced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 pound very small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
- NOTE: For extra protein add 1 lb cubed chicken. brined.
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add carrots, leek, and celery; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add stock; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add potatoes; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
2. Add peas, and beans; simmer 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add spinach, thyme, and basil; cook 1 minute. Ladle soup into bowls; top evenly with cheese.