Warm Gingerbread Pudding Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBS ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch black pepper
- 3 TBS finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water, divided
- 4 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 lrg egg
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- Whipped cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly mist an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl. mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and pepper; stir with a fork to combine well. Stir in the crystallized ginger. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the molasses and 1/2 cup boiling water; set aside.
3) In a med bowl, using an electric mixer on med-low speed, beat together 4 TBS butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar until fluffy, about 2 mins. Beat in the egg. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a flexible spatula and beat again with the mixer until the mixture is uniform.
4) Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir with the flexible spatula just to combine. Stir in the molasses mixture. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and mix until all the ingredients are just incorporated. Scrap the batter into the baking pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle the 1/3 cup brown sugar evenly over the top.
5) In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 3/4 cup boiling water and the 2 TBS butter. Pour the water-butter mixture over the brown sugar and batter in the pan, by DO NOT STIR. Carefully place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 - 35 mins until the cake is cracked on top, set and spongy when you lightly press the surface with your fingers. Remove the cake to a wire rack to cool for 5 mins. Serve hot, with whipped cream.