- 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Morton salt
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick cinnamon
- 2 cups Domino sugar
- 3 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 cup Wesson vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 20-ounce can Dole crushed pineapple, with juice
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Fisher pecans or walnuts, divided
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8-ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Land O Lakes butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon McCormick vanilla extract
- 4 cups Domino powdered sugar, sifted
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
Combine sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined.
Add pineapple (undrained), 1 cup chopped pecans and coconut and continue mixing on medium-low speed until all ingredients are thoroughly combined (about 1 minute).
Spray a 13×9 baking pan with cooking spray. Pour cake batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until cake is set in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool cake completely in pan then the frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup chopped pecans over cake. Store in refrigerator.
Whip cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in powdered sugar (add more if necessary to reach desired consistency – if your kitchen’s hot, you might need more because the butter will be softer). Makes enough to top one 13×9 cake – double recipe if using on a layered cake.