Grilled Eggplant And Mozzarella Sandwiches
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 8 eggplant slices, 1/2" thick
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, 1/4" thick (abt 4 oz)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 large arugula bunches
- 2 large tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
Spray grill with oil spray and prepare barbecue (medium heat). Spray eggplant on both sides with oil spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Place 1 cheese slice atop each of 4 eggplant slices; top with remaining eggplant slices. Grill until cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Whisk oil, vinegar and garlic in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add arugula, tomatoes and basil; toss. Divide among 4 plates. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Top each with 1 eggplant sandwich.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 202; total fat, 14 g; saturated fat, 4 g; cholesterol, 16 mg.